The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Stationary Engineer. They will operate and maintain equipment in a high-pressure plant and pumping station.
This position is included in the Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Operates and maintains low and high-pressure boilers, pumps, generators, switch gear, valves, related machinery, and equipment.
• Reads gauges on air conditioners indicating and recording instruments and other related equipment.
• Tests water and adds chemicals as necessary.
• Inspects machinery to detect faulty operations by making rounds at pre-determined intervals.
• Makes minor adjustments to and lubricates equipment including washing and changing oil and refrigeration filters, cleans filters, air handlers, air conditioning tower, condenser tubes, sump and boiler site glasses as needed.
• Lubricates fans and motors, checks equipment belts and drives, runs stand-by generators in case of an emergency.
• Maintains records and prepares accurate reports concerning equipment operations and maintenance.
• Performs and assists on major equipment repair work.
• Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must clearly show five years of experience as a Stationary Engineer or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Must present a current NIULPE license and valid City of Pittsburgh Stationary Engineer License (Class 3) at the time of application.
• Extensive knowledge of the materials, tools, equipment, procedures, and of the safety hazards and precautions of the work associated with the Stationary Engineer Trade with competency at the journey level.
• Considerable knowledge of construction procedures and techniques.
• Ability to use basic mathematics to read gauges and keep accurate records.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions, and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to climb and work from ladders.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare accurate reports concerning equipment operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Supervisors, Associates, and the General Public.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Position: Stationary Engineer FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Water Production Posted: June 16, 2021
Rate: $30.511 per hour Application Deadline: Until Filled
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting.
• May perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment.
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law